A while ago I apparently lost/misplaced my Patagonia Torrentshell rain jacket somewhere, I can’t find it. If you know where it is please let me know 🙂
Fortunately for me when I realized this the Patagonia Alpine Houdini jacket was on sale, 50% off so I instantly grabbed it. As you might know I already own the Patagonia Houdini jacket and it’s a jacket that I like a lot. The difference between the two is that the Houdini is a windbreaker and the Alpine Houdini is a “lightweight emergency rain shell”. Emergency rain shell really translates into that the jacket will (probably – not yet tested) withstand a heavy downpour but not prolonged sessions of rain unlike the Torrentshell that will take everything you throw at it (10,000mm- vs 20,000mm water column – waterproof rating).
As with every rain jacket out there you’ll eventually get wet anyway so for me this is not really an issue. Compared to the Torrentshell the Alpine Houdini is also much lighter which is nice, saving me about 160g of weight (345g vs 184g).
The only thing that I’m a little disappointed about is that they went “stupid light” with the front zipper. This is only a normal YKK-zipper with no extra taped seams or anything just a storm flap on the inside. When I read reviews of the jacket this is where most people complain that it’ll leak through for the most part, no big surprise there. But since I haven’t tested it myself I can’t comment on this.
- Highly water-resistant woven nylon shell, with laminate membrane and DWR (durable water repellent) finish holds a 10,000mm water column
- Taped seams throughout entire garment
- Full-zip hooded jacket has minimal interior storm flap and single-pull adjustable, helmet-compatible hood that rolls down and stows
- Zippered, interior left chest pocket doubles as self-stuff pouch with streamlined shape and carabiner clip-in loop
- Elasticized cuffs and a minimal single-pull adjustable drawcord hem seal out weather
- 1.5-oz 20-denier 100% nylon ripstop shell, with a waterproof/breathable membrane and a DWR (durable water repellent) finish
- 187 g (6.6 oz)