I bought a Patagonia R1 Pullover on sale the other day, 58% discount isn’t too bad on something that cost 1300SEK at the store. The only thing was that they only had two colors and two sizes left. Fortunately for me they had one in size small. But as I’ve mentioned before, Patagonia’s size charts are not to be trusted. As for the R1 Pullover it’s a slim fit model and that could mean that it would be to small over my chest but I got it anyway and if it didn’t fit I’d just return it.
Technical proficiency merges with simplicity: A beautiful line, your climbing partner, a rope and a rack. Start at the bottom and climb to the top. Our R1 Pullover maintains the same alpine-style elegance. Its finely tuned high/low interior grid polyester fabric (Polartec® Power Dry®) stretches, breathes, moves moisture and insulates. It squashes down to practically nothing, has a terrific feel and its technical fit accommodates light underlayers or works as a stand-alone top. Minimalist zippers reduce bulk, while lightweight micro-grid stretch polyester at the cuffs and armpits enhance breathability and dry times. A soft, kissing-welt zipper garage at the chin gives next-to-skin comfort. With a smooth, microfiber face for easy layering, offset shoulder seams for pack-wearing comfort and a zippered chest pocket.
- Versatile R1 fleece, with its high/low grid pattern, provides excellent stretch, warmth, fast wicking and great breathability in a variety of temperatures
- A lighter weight, micro-grid fabric on inner collar, underarm gusset and Variable Conditions Cuff improves breathability and dry times where you need it most
- Refined technical fit with offset seams for comfort under outerwear and packs
- Center-front Slim Zip with soft, kissing-welt zipper garage and chin flap for next-to-skin comfort
- One left chest pocket has Slim Zip install and clean finished zipper garage
- 6.8-oz Polartec® Power Dry® 93% polyester (41% recycled)/7% spandex. Inner collar, underarms and cuffs: 5.4-oz Polartec® Power Dry® 92% polyester (54% recycled)/8% spandex
- 333 g (11.8 oz)
- Made in Colombia.
Well it came in my mailbox today and guess what – they’ve done it again! The size chart says that I should have a size medium but the that would have been too big. Just look at the photos below and judge for yourselves.
The fleece is really nice and warm. Wore it over my Smartwool t-shirt inside and I had to take it of just after moving around the house for a bit. The grid fleece system looks to be well thought through and provide you with that extra warmth without any unnecessary weight.
The size small weighs in at only 277g and the size medium weight is in the product description above. I saved 39g (haha) with this one over my older Craghopper Vector fleece but that was in size medium. Even though the R1 weighs in at only 277g it feels really sturdy and thick in a thin way (was that weird?).
I haven’t tested it outside yet but I think I’ll do that this weekend, but from the unboxing I’m really happy with my choice.
I just noticed now that almost my entire layering system consist out of Patagonia stuff. That might be because it’s my preferred brand! Great gear that’s lightweight, durable and has a small environmental impact.